Pictures, Thanksgiving (Finally updates!)

Finally a blog update! It’s been a while since I posted on here! I keep meaning to post more, but it’s difficult since my website is blocked at work and I don’t spend too much time on my computer when I’m home from work.

First things first: photo updates! I’ve posted (or will be posting) a couple new albums:

  • Blue Angels, from the middle of October
  • Windy Hill Hike, with Speneva, Alicia, and Brian, a couple weeks ago (I accidentally deleted the pictures!)
  • Thanksgiving Photos, these are actually recent.

I’ll include links to the albums once they’re up on SmugMug.

So what have I been up to? I guess a lot’s been going on, but then again, not much has been going on. I’ve been taking Tango lessons at Stanford every Wednesday. It’s been a lot of fun, but it can be somewhat frustrating as well. The class is in a small dance studio at Stanford, and something like 60 people show up — we don’t fit in the room too well. I end up running into stupid people since there’s not enough room. There’s also usually more guys than girls and I will often be left without a partner (we switch partners every song). Sasha (my roommate) takes me to the “Practica” session on Mondays (like it sounds, it’s just a practice). She teaches me some things and also lets me practice the things that I learned the week before. Sasha’s been dancing Tango for a couple years, so she’s really good and because of her, I’ve been getting good really quickly. I met a couple girls who are also beginners at the Practica and I’ve been dancing with them a bunch. They’re both pretty good and fun to dance with, so I try to dance with them at the lessons whenever I can. And in case you’re wondering, they both have boyfriends who also dance Tango but haven’t caught on as quickly as I have, so I’ve been helping the boyfriends dance as well. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not that good at all, I still walk around in circles instead of dancing, but I do figure out the steps quicker than many of the guys. Anyways, Tango has been fun, and I’m almost at the point where I can dance. Right now though, I’m still just walking around in circles.

A couple months ago I got convinced by the SF Symphony to buy a 4-pack of 2 tickets to the symphony. They threw in 2 free tickets to a 5th concert. I’ve been to 2 concerts, in addition to Beethoven’s 9th Symphony, which is how they got my info to convince me to get the 4-pack. The first Symphony we saw was a Bruckner symphony, which was pretty good. There was this weird Piano Concerto by Lutoslawski, which was really weird and Sasha and I didn’t like it. It sounded like music for a scary movie – with spiders crawling around and stuff. The other Symphony I went to was Beethoven’s Pastoral Symhony (Symphony No 6) with a Haydn Symphony before it. Both of them were great, but Adrienne and I really loved the Postral — we really could feel/hear/see the countryside where he wrote it. Each movement had a different theme, for example one movement sounded like a thunderstorm (with the loud timpani), another sounded like we were reclining by a brook, and another one felt warming like we were sitting out in the sun. I still have 2 more concerts to go to, although I may buy a couple more depending on ski season.

Speaking of ski season: it’s almost here. Unfortunately we haven’t had any snow (ok, one storm a month ago, but that doens’t count at this point). I went to one of the Ski Shops and bought a pair of last years rental skis for $50. I’ll use them at the begining of the season when there’s snow, but not enough to cover all the rocks. Last year my ski’s got all scraped up by skiing over rocks that you couldn’t tell were rocks until you went over them. Since I bought brand new skis at the end of last year, I don’t want to scrape those up. Thus, I’ll ski the crap outa my $50 skis and not worry if they get all torn up. \

For Thanksgiving I took a couple days off from work and flew back to CT. I got home Friday night and hung out with the family for a bit. On Saturday, Ben and I watched the Michigan game (ugh, it was awful). We went to the high school musical in the evening, which was actually really good despite the fact that it was 3 hours long! On Sunday my mom and I went shopping and I came home with something like 6 sweaters and a jacket (from Express, Aeropastle, Hollister). On Monday my mom and I drove up CT a bit and did some more shopping (I got another couple sweaters and light jacket from H&M and a different Express). We drove a little bit further and went to the Outlets where I got some new PJ’s and despite telling myself I was done spending money, I couldn’t resist the Under Armor with Michigan colors. I needed some more thermal undergarments for skiing and I really couldn’t pass up the Michigan looking one! We stopped at this little pub for lunch and was surprised with a really good bread-bowl of Clam Chowder (mmmm, still tasty). On Tuesday I drove into New York to visit my grandparents in New Rochelle. I had lunch with them, hung out a bit, and then drove back home. On Wednesday I hung out the house and then Ben got home early and we went down to the beach where we took Dash for a walk (which he loves, since he’s a cute little doggy). In the afternoon, I took the train into the city and spend the night with Jaime (and her twin sister Lisa). I made Tilapia and Zucchini Pancakes for them and then we went to a club called “Duvee” (it had beds and stuff) for a Jewish singles event. It was super lame, mostly older men who were extremely awkward and didn’t know how to talk to people. But we had a couple drinks and then called it a night. Jaime and I ended up staying up until something like 5am talking about life, relationships, and just catching up. I had planned on getting up early and going ice-skaing or something, but I woke up at noon and had enough time to eat breakfast and then catch the train back to Westport so I could help my mom get ready for Thanksgiving. I helped get things ready and then we drove over to my grandparents (they also live in Westport) where my cousins and grandparents had already arrived. We ate some appetizers and then my dad and uncle carved the 2 Turkeys and we ate a yummy meal. I think my favorite part were the desserts: all the pies and brownies (the turkey was also really good though)! My brothers and my cousin (who is a couple months older than me) and I went to go see the movie “Role Models” which was really good/funny! On Friday we hung around the house, raked some leaves, ate some more food, and then I packed and went to bed. I flew home Saturday morning and as soon as I landed, decided I needed to go for a run to burn off all the food that I ate. I did a lil over a 2 mile run, showered, did laundry, and then went to Target to get a mirror and then picked up my new skis which had been sized for my boot and waxed/edged.

I’ll try to post more frequently. For now, I’m back to picture editing.

One Response to “Pictures, Thanksgiving (Finally updates!)”

  1. toast Says:

    wow! i love the blue angels pics!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.